Message from City of Elko Emergency Management-Chief Matthew Griego
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is responding to an outbreak of a respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that was first detected in China and now has been detected in more than 100 locations internationally, including the United States and the State of Nevada. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).
City of Elko is working closely with the State of Nevada, Elko County Health Officer, Elko County Emergency Management, Elko County School District and local health care providers to monitor and prepare for the developing outbreak of the repiratory disease COVID-19.
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Although, Elko County is geographically isolated, the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
Accordingly, the community is encouraged to follow the guidance of Nevada State Public Health Division and the (CDC) in practicing everyday preventative actions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily (e.g., tables, countertops, light switches, doorknobs, and cabinet handles) using a regular household detergent and water.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Working together as a community we will strive to minimize the impacts to daily life as we develop strategies to protect the population, including those most vulnerable to severe illness.
City of Elko Press Releases Related to COVID-19
Press Release 1
Press Release 2
Press Release 3
Press Release 4
Press Release 5
Press Release 6
Press Release 7
Press Release 8
Press Release 9
Press Release 10
Press Release 11
Press Release 12
Press Release 15
Press Release 16
Press Release 17